oncahuia, excahuia.

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Fri Nov 13 04:07:58 UTC 2009

Piyali Listeros,
	In Modern Huastecan Nahuatl "oncahuia" means "for two people to
approach or gang up on s.o." and "excahuia" means "for three people to
approach of gang up on s.o." Assuming this is the "-huia" suffix that
forms transitive verbs from a noun root, meaning "to use, apply or
produce the embedded noun with respect to s.o. or s.t., it looks like
"onca-" and "exca-" are being treated as nouns. We know that "onca-"
has "ome", "two", and "exca-" has "eyi", "three". So what is the "-
ca"? We also have "nechcahuia", "to approach s.o. or s.t.", and this
comes from "nechca", "close, near". Andrews would say that this is the
relational "-ca", used for "nechca" and "huehca", meaning "interval of
space".
	It would seem that the "-ca" of "oncahuia" and "excahuia" would
either be this relational morpheme of "interval", or perhaps it could
be the "-ca" that allows us to add things to preterite agentives. So
does this mean that Nahuatl numbers have a verbal origin?
John