tlapani, tlapana, tlatlapaca, tlatlapatza

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Wed Nov 25 04:54:35 UTC 2009

Piyali listeros,
	Ce tlahtlaniliztli. I have a question about sets of words like:
tlapa:ni, "to split"; tlapa:na, "to split s.t."; tlatlapaca, "to split
into many pieces", tlatlapatza, "to split s.t. into many pieces". I
understand that tlapa:na is a causative derivation of  tlapa:ni. And
the grammars say that tlatlapaca is a reduplicated form of tlapa:ni,
and that tlatlapatza is a reduplicated form of tlapa:na. What I want
to know is if tlatlapatza could also be considered a causative
derivation of tlatlapaca. After all, we do have hua:qui, "to dry" and
its causative derivation hua:tza, "to dry s.t."; popo:ca, "to smoke" /
popo:tza, "to smoke s.t."; ti:tica, "to throb (a wound) / ti:titza,
"to strain while making an effort", none of which have underlying
thematic verbs forms in -ni or -hui. And I think all verbs ending in -
tza are transitive (pi:tza, po:tza).
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua language and culture
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Zacatecas Institute of Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Tacuba 152, int. 43
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
Mexico