poetry request

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Nov 25 19:57:25 UTC 2009

         Nèhua:tl nictlazòtla
>        in centzonto:to:tl i:cui:cauh
>        nèhua:tl nictlazòtla
>        cha:lchihuitl i:tlapaliz
>        i:hua:n in a:huiyacmê xo:chimê
>        zan oc cencâ,
>        noicni:uhtzin in tla:catl
>        nèhua:tl nictlazòtla.

>>     J'ai des doutes sur l'authenticité de ce poème très répandu sur le Web.
>> Consultons le Wimmer, toujours excellent :
>>
>> °    i:tlapaliz : tlapaliztli, « Teinture, action de teindre un objet. »

I agree that this term seems unexpected for classical Nahuatl in this
context. In the Florentine, the inalienably possessed noun tlapal- not
used when referring to the color of stones. There the term used is
"itlachializ" meaning 'its appearance'

chalchihuitl itlachializ

would seem to be closer to what Nezahualcoyotl said, if he said any of
this at all.

>> °    a:huiyacmê xo:chimê : adjectif au pluriel ; « xo:chimê  » :

Yes, this phrase too seems quite strange, grammatically speaking. One
would expect something like "ahhuiacayotl ixoch" or "ahhuializtli
ixoch"  'the flowers' pleasant odor'.

Michael