Nuns and verbs

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Mon Nov 30 21:01:05 UTC 2009

I would say that nouns in Nahuatl are those entities that take engage
with nominal morphology and verbs are the ones that engage with
verbal morphology.  There's probably a bit of overlap.

Andrews makes his every-word-a-sentence claim by resorting to "zero-
morphemes" and not just a little bit but by a great whopping lot.

There are plenty of what Carochi called "adverbs" in Nahuatl, with
all sorts of functions other than verbal or nominal.

On the other hand, I am fairly convinced that in older Nahuatl there
was no distinct grammatical category of adjective. That probably
changed through contact with Spanish.  Not that there has been
obvious introduction of agreement between modifier and modified, but
some deverbal forms now seem to act like predicate adjectives in a
way they didn't originally.

Fran