Tloc, nahuac, tech, tlan

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Nov 13 02:18:53 UTC 2009

Quoting David Wright <dcwright at prodigy.net.mx>:

> Thanks, Michael.

Sure, David.

I see Molina (1571: II, 42r) gives "Ipeuhcan en el
> comienzo, o en el principio, o al principio". That looks like i:peuhca:n
> /i:pewka:n/ (i: + (pewa - a) + ka:n), 3rd person singular possessive prefix
> + verb: begin + postposition (?) where/in/in the time of/place of/by.

A better translation would be "en su principio, a su principio". That's
also the basic meaning of "itzinehcan," where the i- is 3rd singular
possessor prefix.

So I
> guess I can call ca:n a postposition, based on the criteria of it appearing
> with a possessive prefix (and a verb!), although the example is not as clear
> as if we had a direct coupling of the prefix with ca:n. It is what it is, of
> course; the problem is fitting it into a somewhat arbitrary (but useful)
> classification scheme.

I think a classification (albeit predictably huge) according to
Martin's idea would be great:

"But there is another intresting question with regard to these words.
Some of them can have relatively similar meanings. Do you know whether
it is possible to tell whether such Rel.Nouns differ with regard to the
nouns they 'govern'? Such that we could state rules like e.g.: "The
suffix -c(o) expresses locative meaning with nouns like A, B, C etc.,
whereas the same meaning is expressed by means of the (quasi synonym)
Rel.Noun -pan with nouns as D, E, F. etc."

Michael