-oa vs -oa

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at mac.com
Thu Oct 22 03:20:22 UTC 2009

Piyali notequixpoyohuan,
	I understand that there are two -oa suffixes:
1. one makes an intransitive verb out of nouns, and means to use,
apply or produce that noun. For example, "tlaxcaloa, ni", "to produce
tortillas".
2. another makes causative transitive verbs out of intransitive ones
ending in -ihui or -ahui. In turn, the root of this -ihui/-ahui verb
may or may not be identifiable as a noun. There are many examples of
the progression: ihcuilihui>ihcuiloa, alaxihui>alaxoa, etc.
	The question I have is relating to transitive verbs formed by adding
the suffix -oa to a Spanish loanword: for example, "paxaloa, nic",
"aporaroa, nic/nimo", "castigaroa, nic", etc.
	Obviously this -oa suffix is not the one that forms intransitive
verbs from nouns. So if itʻs the causative suffix, we can assume that
there is a missing or skipped over intermediate form between the
original noun and the final causative form. In other words:
a). apurar/aporar > "aporarihui, ni.", "to hurry" > "aporaroa,  nic",
"to cause s.o. to hurry"
b). castigar > "castigarihui, ni", "to be punished" > "castigaroa,
nic", "to punish s.o."
	Does this hold up to scrutiny?
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Professor of Nahua language and culture
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Zacatecas Institute of Teaching and Research in Ethnology
Tacuba 152, int. 43
Centro Histórico
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000
Mexico