The meaning of "Tegucigalpa."

Rafael Benavides rbenavides05 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 02:47:04 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm a Nahuatl student and I am looking for help with breaking down "Tegucigalpa." There is a popular translation that says it means "place of silver hills." I'm not sure how they have come up with that definition.

Here's what I've been looking at:

Tegucigalpa> Te. coz-qui. cal-li. Pan. Pipil-Nawat has a 'u' variant, turning "cozqui" to "cuzqui."

>>From that we can now get Tecuzquicalpan. 'S/C' sounds give way to 'g' and the final 'n' becomes completely silent, leading to the hispanicized name, "Teguz'igalpa'" -- place of (someone's) jewel-houses?

I'd appreciate the help. Tlazocamati.

Rafael Benavides