The meaning of "Tegucigalpa."

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 27 21:39:45 UTC 2009

Dear Rafael,

I had a chance a few years ago to work on a Pipil language project here
at I.U.
and I understand where you're coming from when you mention the sound
changes. But, if your analysis were to come close to the original Pipil
term, the "someone's" seems a little strange for a place name. I would
tend to think that that initial "Te-" might be /te-/ 'stone', giving
theoretically 'stone jewel-house place'.

However, a greater obstacle to your /te:ku:skikalpa(n)/is explaining
the disappearance of the /k/ of /ku:ski/. If /sk/ was a challenging
consonant pair
for early Spanish speakers, then you may be home free. But I don't know
about that. Others on the list may have a thing or two to say about
this.

All best,

Michael