Tecuici*-tli

Henry h.kammler at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Oct 29 15:15:22 UTC 2009

Now the list server seems to work for me too. Amantsîn nikitas tlâ yâ milâk.

So I try and add something on "cangrejo".

Molina gives "tecuicitli" from which we can infer that the penultimate
syllable is closed (CVC), either -siw- or -si'- (= saltillo)

Bierhorst (1985) in his dictionary reconstructs (?) the saltillo version
"tecuicihtli", citing Molina but not explaining his addition of -h-.

Today's Nahuatl speakers of San Miguel Tecuiciapan (!) Guerrero
pronounce /tekwisihtli/ but unfortunately, their -hC- sequences can
reflect either -wC- or -'C- in "classical Aztec", so no help here. They
usually call their village "San Miguel" and when they pronounce
"Tecuiciapan," its in a hispaniczed way /tekwisya:pa/.

Nearby Xalitla developed the unusual form /tekwisiri/ (cf. Ramírez/Dakin
1979), *possibly* because of the assimilation of a preceding continuant
/w/ or /h/ with -tli. Xalitla Nahuatl has "zero" in place of the Aztec
saltillo, and /-h/ in most of Aztec /-w/. In this case, underlying
/tekwisiw-tli/ could be the case.

That doesn't help much with "Tegucigalpa"...

Saludos
Henry