ethnoastronomy

Jonathan Amith jdanahuatl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 20:55:49 UTC 2009

Hi, for the Pleiades I have heard, in Balsas, Miak. This term is shared
among all speakers I have asked and is commonly known.

As for "basket" The word for the head of Taurus is tlálkopétli (Oapan), cf.
tolkopehtli (San Miguel Tecuiciapan) which is a conical-shaped basket of
three sticks and woven palm used in pairs to transport objects (e.g.,
mazorca, comales) by beast of burden (one hanging on either side of the
animal). In local Spanish it is called tenjolote or tencolote
A better defintion is in Santamaría dictionary, p. 1003

It would seem strange for the Pleiades to be so named, but perhaps?

Best, jonathan