Crabs Re: Tegucigalpa

Henry h.kammler at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Oct 29 13:48:21 UTC 2009

Listeros,

a couple of days ago I replied to Rafael in a similar sense, i.e. "crab"
etymology. It seems, though I use the "reply to all" option, my posts
don't make it to the list, only to the previous poster.
So I try again, adding that /tekwisi'tli/ seems to refer to fresh water
crawfish, which in inland Honduras would certainly make sense.
It would be interesting to look at a list of place names with "crab" in
them, as Karen mentions.

The disapperance of /k/ after /s/, or  k>ø / s_ wouldn't be a unique
phenomenon, considering that some modern dialects in Guerrero, Morelos
and Veracruz have developed the future plural suffix /-seh/ which
historically comes from /-s/ FUT and /-keh/ PL.

Sân ômetsîn notomintsîn
Henry