Susana's *mimichhuah

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Sep 11 20:37:56 UTC 2009

Dr. Karttunen et alii/aliae:

There is no doubt that -huah/-eh can itself take the plural suffix
-queh. I don't think that's Susana's question.

Ihe problem I have with her *mimichhuah(queh) or *mimicheh(queh) is the
use of *plural noun* before -huah/-eh. I've never seen it in
"classical" Nahuatl. (I'm assuming Susana's *mimichin is intended to be
a plural. It sounds good but I've never seen that plural for 'fish'.)

Maybe combining plural nouns with the possessor suffix is something
that modern Nahuatl does, but can anyone supply examples of this kind
of behavior in "classical" Nahuatl?

One seems to get only things such as
mileh...cihuahqueh..caleh...altepehuahqueh...nacazeh (where in fact
*two* ears are implied...).

Any thoughts, grammarians?