yhcuiliuhtica

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu Apr 1 01:19:43 UTC 2010

Ken, Tomas, y otros listeros,

The explanation below is not quite right, I don't think. Let's back up
for a moment.

The original form that Ken wrote was "ynitech yxci yhcuiliuhtica".

We can write this in, shall we say?, the Andrewsian Alphabet as

in i:tech ixci (?) ihcuiliuticah

I'm assuming "ixci" is an original copy error or a Ken keyboarding
error standing for icxi 'foot/feet'.

ihcuiliutica is not a "present progressive". This is an example of how
an intransitive verb can join with -ti-cah to produce what is usually
translated into English as an adjective, sometimes a noun:

chica:hua  become strong
chica:uticah  it is strong, or something that is strong

tlacoxe:lihui  divide in half
tlahcoxe:liuhticah  it is divided in half; something divided in half

'adjacent to the foot/feet it is written, there is written, something
got written' (I like the last one best).

Michael

Quoting t_amaya at megared.net.mx: