Special signs

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Aug 1 20:49:49 UTC 2010

It's an interesting topic though it seems as if tradition resistance
would rule against its usage (although that hasn't stopped folks from
using "k" for tradition "qu,"cu," etc...).

In the Algonquian language family long vowels in some languages,
including Proto-Algonquian and Southern Unami, are marked with a raised
dot following the vowel, while in other languages gemination is the
rule, as for example in Sauk and Miami-Illinois.

In general, I think geminated orthographic symbols, simply from sight,
are easier to remember than single symbols marked in a variety of ways.

Best,

Michael

Quoting lahunik.62 at skynet.be: