(no subject)

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Fri Aug 27 02:09:54 UTC 2010

Tom:

Interesting name.

Maybe someone has a good, quick answer for you. Here's what I can see
on the surface of things.

tzompa:mitl is Nahuatl for 'coral tree'

tzompantli is Nahuatl for 'skull rack'

Either could give you "tzompantla", indicating a "place where there is
an abundance," /-tlah/, of either coral trees or skull racks. Vowel
length is the diff.

"tzontzompantla" would appear to indicate a distributive nature for the above.

A- in "Atzontzompantla" would turn all this into water. Splash!

Now what does this mean? I don't know.

Maybe there is or was a spring in the area that, as it came out of the
ground, radiated in a way that reminded people, visually, of the
flowers of a coral tree?

Michael