Sufijos de Posici ón

Tomas Amaya t_amaya at megared.net.mx
Mon Aug 2 15:10:14 UTC 2010

Hallo Michael, Hallo Paul

I'd like to add some words to the the topic.

1. Ikpan (noikpan). It is related to ic and pa(n). So, the meaning of
noikpan is "because of me" or secondly: "around me". The word to express
behind is ican/icampa (ican+pa) so you can say noicampa, moicampa iicampa,
etc. in order to mean behind me, behind you, behind him, etc.

2. lampa. We say callan to mean something like "outside the house" / "some
place near the house"; it is made up of cal (calli=house) and tlan--> lan
(tlan: next to, on, etc), plus "pa", that specifies/reinforces the idea of
place. So for example, when you say: nicnequi niaz callampa you are meaning
"I want to go outdoors". But attention! If you say: nicnequi niaz callan,
you are meaning "I want to go to the WC".

3. Caltenoj = caltenoh, related to "caltenco" (nahuatl central), it means
"at the edge of the house". Composition: cal (calli) + tentli
(lip/edge/border) + co (locative). Today it is used to mean "yard" (patio)
or "in front of the house", but you have to remember that in ancient times
there were no roads or walls among the houses (it can still be seen in some
indian villages), so, at the edge, "border" of the house people used to put
stones or trunks on which they sat down to talk.

Tomas Amaya