David Wright on Otomi and Nahuatl

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Mon Feb 1 00:07:29 UTC 2010

I, for one, don't take it as surprising.  I would have been inclined
to the same position, but what really would have solidified it for me
was the 1986 Campbell, Kaufman, Smith-Stark paper in Language.

BTW, among the characteristics of Mesoamerican high rhetoric, both
prose and verse, is repetition in pairs and pairs of pairs.  In verse
it is shared codas of vocables such as "ohuaya ohuaya."  If one comes
across even a fragment of a typical song in Nahuatl with an ohuaya
coda, one has a sense of the likely whole: four verse-pairs, each
pair with a common coda.

I WAS surprised at the time and sort of pleased to come across a
fragment with an ohuaya in one of the Yucatec Maya Books of Chilam
Balam.  Aha! I said to myself. It's not just Nahuatl.  It's a
Mesoamerican verse form.  Sort of like finding out for all on one's
own that not all sonnets are English and Elizabethan.