Nahuatl in public schools today

Iván Pedroza ipedrozar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:21:35 UTC 2010

I believe that indigenous languages have been taught broadly since
Vasconcelos's educational missions. I have seen nahuatl basic textbooks for
children dating from Lázaro Cárdenas presidency. The Dirección General de
Educación Indígena (DGEI)  of the SEP is in charge of bilingual and
bicultural education in the primary level. Nahuatl is taught in bilingual
and bicultural schools in Tlaxcala, Puebla, Veracruz, Guerrero, Estado de
México, Distrito Federal, Hidalgo, San Luis Potosí and Oaxaca. I ignore if
these schools exist in the small native nahuatl speaking communities in
Colima, Jalisco, Michoacan, Chiapas, Tabasco, Querétaro and Durango
(mexicanero).

The main statistics about bilingual-bicultural education can be found here:

http://basica.sep.gob.mx/dgei/pdf/inicio/informacion/estadisticasDGEI.pdf

Besides, nahuatl is taught in the public preparatorias that belong to the DF
Government, and I there are similar special programmes in the Intercultural
Universities in Veracruz and Puebla.

I hope you find this useful.

--
Iván Pedroza