El Saltillo

John Sullivan, Ph.D. idiez at me.com
Tue Jan 19 04:39:21 UTC 2010

Baert,
	All of your examples except "palehuia" are class 2 verbs ending in hu- /w/ + vowel. These verbs lose the final vowel in the preterite. When the hu- becomes word-final (and even when it is syllable-final inside the word) it becomes voiceless and is written -uh. So we are not talking about a saltillo, rather the change from a voiced /w/ to a voiceless /w/.
	"palehuia" is a class 3 verb, and when it goes to the preterite, the final vowel is lost and a saltillo (h) appears.
	In modern Huastecan Nahuatl the "h" and the "-uh" sound similar, but there is a difference. And while an "h" causes a preceding long vowel to shorten, the "-uh" does not.
John