El Saltillo

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Tue Jan 19 05:11:35 UTC 2010

The Nahuatl orthography used in the 16th century and continuing to
the present (along with a number of alternative orthographies that
have been proposed since) uses some digraphs (two characters to
represent a single consonant).

Examples at tl for laterally released t as in tletl; tz as in tzapotl
and itepotz; ch in Nahuatl chihua and nochpoch; qu before i and e; etc.

Spanish uses hu- for phonetic w, which only occurs syllable-initially
in Spanish.  But in Nahuatl, [w] can be syllable-final as well as
syllable-initial.  In that case, the digraph is turned around and
written -uh.  So hu- as in huipilli and -uh as is notepeuh (possessed
form of tepetl).

(By the way, I am omitting vowel-length marking here, because the
macrons in my Nahuatl print font often do strange things in the
course of email transmission.)

Similarly, the traditional Nahuatl orthography uses cu- in syllable-
initial position but -uc  syllable-finally: cualli but teuctli.
Sometimes in traditional orthography, instead of the digraph -uc, the
trigraph -cuh has been used (tecuhtli), and that causes all sorts of
confusion, because people take the h here to be the saltillo, which
it is not.   cu-, -uc, and -cuh all stand for k made with rounded lips.

In the examples cited below, the systematic dropping of a stem-final
vowel in the past tense of Type 2 verbs changes the position of w
from syllable-initial  (ihui, ohua, -ihua, ehua, ahua) to syllable-
final (iuh, ouh, iuh, euh, auh).

So no, the h in these digraphs is not saltillo.  It is part of hu- ~
uh, representing w.