NEH summer institute in Oaxaca, 2010

Stephanie Wood swood at uoregon.edu
Wed Jan 20 01:23:52 UTC 2010

Please post or forward (apologies for any duplication):

"Mesoamerican Cultures and their Histories: Spotlight on Oaxaca!"
NEH Summer Institute, July 11-August 7, 2010, in Oaxaca, Mexico

This is a four-week institute for school teachers (K-12, public or
private) wishing to develop curricular materials about Mesoamerican
cultures and their histories (with a focus on the peoples of Oaxaca,
in southern Mexico, in pre-Columbian and Spanish-colonial times). The
institute will include excursions to ruined, ancient settlements and
modern-day indigenous communities. We will have a week on archaeology,
a week on ethnohistory, a week on the arts, and a week on film.
Participating lecturers will be drawn from among Oaxacan scholars and
a few faculty from the University of Oregon, home of a number of
renowned Mesoamerican digital collections. We will offer optional
technological workshops on Fridays. Curricular materials that result
from the institute will become part of a free, shared resource among
participants.

We have room for up to 27 teachers, plus up to 3 grad students who are
preparing to be teachers. Participants who are selected from the
national competition will receive a stipend of $3000 plus what is left
from another $300 being held back to cover entrance fees on field
trips, etc. The $3000 stipend is meant to cover most expenses such as
travel, lodging, and food, but we cannot guarantee that it will cover
all expenses (depending upon the choice of hotels and restaurants).
Participants will arrange their own travel and lodging, but we are
organizing some specials with hotels placed near our meeting locations
in downtown Oaxaca city. Books are normally to be purchased from the
stipend, too, but we are making digital versions of all the readings
to save the participants money and to prevent having to carry heavy
books in suitcases. For more information, please visit our website: http://whp.uoregon.edu/mesoinstitute/
You may also send questions to: Stephanie Wood, Director (swood AT
uoregon DOT edu).

Stephanie Wood, Ph.D.,
Director
Wired Humanities Projects