map/mapa exhibit for 2012-13?

Stephanie Wood swood at uoregon.edu
Thu Jan 21 20:18:10 UTC 2010

Hello listeros (please excuse duplication),

I am part of a committee that is trying to organize an exhibit on our
campus (U of Oregon) for the academic year 2012-13 that would include
Age of Exploration maps of the Americas and mapas/lienzos authored by
indigenous people of Mesoamerica ca. 1550-1900.  This could include
alphabetic, indigenous language texts, too.  If you are a curator or
are in close touch with one, and you believe your institution might
have -- and be willing to loan (this is key) -- one or more pieces for
such an exhibit, would you please contact me off list?

We are having a difficult time finding repositories that are willing
to loan items.  Either they do not loan at all, or they are loaning to
a competing exhibit, or their items will need to be "resting" at that
time.  We can provide information about our museum's security, climate
control, light, etc., as necessary.  We are open to collaboration, and
having an exhibit travel to another venue or two (if the loan
stipulations would permit that).

Also, if you have suggestions about grants that are available to help
underwrite such exhibits, I would be pleased to hear about those.  I
am aware of what NEH offers.

Thanks in advance!
Stephanie Wood
University of Oregon