Huitzilopochtli

mario e. aguilar micc2 at cox.net
Fri Jul 2 15:46:38 UTC 2010

Many "new age" Danza Azteca groups will "translate" Nahuatl into what
ever they feel is cool.

There is a whole sub-culture of psuedo-Nahuatl language "experts" that
mix what they think is  mesoamerican culture with UFOism,
Nostradamus worship, and political ideology to create "our ancient
Mexi'ca ways."

No amount of scholarly "error pointing" will change their minds; those
of us who try to use logic, reason, and empirical data to understand
indigenous culture, language and spirituality are seen by these fringe
groups (which I gently call my Mexi'ca Nazi brothers), as eur-centric
sell-outs.

Or on the otherhand they could be a dance group of the "purely
comemercial" world.  For these groups the more outreageous the claimi to
their Aztec blood; the  more athletic and showy their dancing, the more
they can charge......

Neither of these groups have any real /"esencia/" or /"tradicion"/"  in
what we know today as La Danza Azteca-Chichimeca-Conchera
of central Mexico.

I live for reasoned, enlightened spirituality:

"Tlacecelilli", tranquilidad, paz

Mario E. Aguilar, PhD
www.mexicayotl.net