poem source

jbierhorst at aol.com jbierhorst at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 21:42:34 UTC 2010

Dear Michael McCafferty,

The "poem," very popular on New Age websites, given merely as an "Aztec poem," is from Seler's Gesammelte Abhandlungen, vol. 2, p. 1045: "Im Hause des Schildkrotensitzes ist, kommt sie nieder, gebiert sie die Perle, die Schmuckfeder [...]."  Compare Anderson & Dibble Florentine Codex, part 2 (1951 ed.), p. 211: "Song of Aiopechtli. / There in her home [the goddess] Aiopechcatl, with child, gave birth [...]"  Probably the source used is Jerome Rothenberg, Shaking the Pumpkin (Anchor 1972), pp. 50 & 407.  And the translator is Anselm Hollo (see his page on Wikipedia).

Best,

John Bierhorst