A few words

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Wed Jul 28 22:04:19 UTC 2010

Quoting John Sullivan <idiez at me.com>:

> Piyali Baert,
> 	First of all the dictionary I made available has only about 1000 of
> the 7000 headwords that are in our dictionary. The full list will be
> available by the end of this next school year.
> 	In Modern Huastecan Nahuatl shoe is "tecactli", my shoe, "notecac".
> 	Michael, yes the language has evolved over the years (centuries),
> but not that much:
> pitzahuac, "a tree or stick with a thin diameter", or "change
> (money), vs canactzin, "s.t. thin (except trees and sticks)"
> nicpitzahua tomin, "I break the money into smaller denominations"
> nimitzpitzahuilia tomin, "I break the money into smaller
> denominations for you (I give you change).
> 	I don't think there is much difference between a tree that
> (grammatically) has become thin, and money that has become thin.

Good points, John. And I agree wholeheartedly on these forms and
meanings (although I'd say we could have a hearty discussion about how
much the language has changed in 500 years. :-)

What I meant to refer to was the *abstract* meaning it had acquired in
the modern language rather than the literal meaning. When you break a
ten dollar bill, the ten dollar bill in your hand isn't divided into
smaller parts. That's what I was talking about, albeit unclearly.

Michael