Huitzilopochtli

Leeming, Ben b.leeming at rivers.org
Wed Jun 30 13:56:58 UTC 2010

Piyali listeros, here's an interesting one that has me scratching my head.

I just read the following in an article from the Woodburn (OR) Independent online:

WOODBURN - Woodburn's local Aztec dance group, Danza Azteca Huitzilopochtli, provided a feast for the senses in their performance at Library Park on June 24. The group's name, Huitzilopochtli, is a Nahuatl word meaning "strength of your will." (emphasis mine)

I can't for the life of me discern how "strength of your will" comes from Huitzilopochtli...  Any thoughts where this might have come from?

Here's the link:  http://www.woodburnindependent.com/news/2010/June/29/News.Briefs/local.aztec.dance.group.to.perform.june.24/news.aspx

Ben

Ben Leeming
Chair, History Department