yhcuiliuhtica

Ken Kitayama kk2443 at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 29 00:30:46 UTC 2010

My name is Ken Kitayama; I am a senior at Columbia University working on a
project dealing with corporal images in colonial New Spain.  I have come
across a 17th century document that uses the phrase "ynitech yxci
yhcuiliuhtica".  I have two questions.  First, from my understanding, the
verb "yhcuiliuhtica" as written is in the present progressive tense, but
this interpretation does not make sense within the rest of the document.  So
I was wondering if anyone had seen the "-ca" prefix used as a verb of a
resultant state ("it is painted/inscribed").  Secondly, I am having trouble
interpreting the meaning of the verb "yhcuiliuhtica" itself.  I would like
to know whether it has to do with the verb "to paint" as in applying pigment
to the surface of the skin, or if it has to do more with an interpretation
like "to inscribe", where the skin is actually broken and pigment is
introduced inside the skin itself.  Thanks for your help.

--
Ken Kitayama
Columbia College 2010