Tlacaelel

John F. Schwaller schwallr at potsdam.edu
Fri Mar 12 19:52:25 UTC 2010

In teaching my class on the Mexica I always try to translate the names
of the characters who play such an important role in their history.
There are good translations for the names of the huei tlahtoque, but how
would one translate Tlacaelel, the famous cihuacoatl?

I have always thought that it was more related to anguish and suffering
(tlacaellotl) than to liver (tlacaelli).  Along the lines of anguish we
have Molina's gloss of "tlacaellelli" - The one who is dispossessed,
punished, or who has great poverty, for having been avaricious, cruel,
without mercy towards the poor, when he had abundance with which to aid
them and do good toward them"

--
John F. Schwaller