Ancient indigenous Mesoamerican and Andean music

lahunik.62 at skynet.be lahunik.62 at skynet.be
Sun May 9 23:48:13 UTC 2010

Dear listeros,

I'm searching for ancient indigenous Mesoamerican and Andean music.

I know of Jaramar Sosa who has spent her musical career performing in
ancient indigenous languages such as Zapotec and Quecha. But I don't know if
there allready exist something of her on cd. She was planning a full album
with songs in the Purapecha language.

Binni Gulaza, a vocal and guitar trio, which played "sones istmenos", the
traditional music of the Zapotec Indians which live in Oaxaca. Zapotec
guitarists and composers are seemingly well known throughout Mexico. Some of
the country's most popular love songs are from the sones istmenos tradition.
In the last hundred years brassbands have been largerly replacing string
bands, with the result that many lyrics, noted for their masterful command
of the Zapotec language, have been lost.

I'm also searching for the roots of contemporary Andean music, which go back
before and during the Incan Empire. Music with the zamponas, the pan pipe,
and the charango, the double stringed mandolin, made of the shell of an
armadillo.

The shrill mournful sound of the pipes seems to touch something deep in the
human soul, and is a perfect complement to the rich tones of the charango.

Stringed instruments seemed unknown before the Spanish Conquest. But
accounts from the time of the Conquest praised the hypnotic and smoothing
effects of the music.

I'm aware of Jorge Milchberg y Los Incas, who achieved fame with his album
El Condor Pasa. I'm in the possession of the song "Tema de Maimara" from the
album Alegria, that seems to succeed in evoking the beauty of the Andes
themselves.

Ollantay of Expression, which is based on Incan ceremonial forms called
Yaravi and Huayno, and tells the story of General Ollantay. This track
should be from the band's second album Wasichakuy, which is a Quecha Indian
word that means "to build your own house", as well as the circle of light
that surrounds the Sun and the Moon.

Wasichakuy is seemingly a strong united energy by which one could overcome
any obstacle, and in the Incan soul it encouraged faith and radiated an aura
of positive energy.

Lahun Ik 62

Baert Georges

Flanders Fields