mohottah

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Thu May 13 00:36:23 UTC 2010

John,

Epenthesis is the addition of a consonant or a vowel to a word, usually
inside the word. It's a common linguistic phenomenon in languages
around the world.

In Miami-Illinois, an Algonquian language, we see it in addition /a/ in
the pronunciation of the French name François: Fr. /frãswa/ ->  M-I
/palanswa/.  The French consonant cluster /fr/ was difficult for
Miami-Illinois speakers.

In English you see consonant epenthesis for example in the
pronunciation /warmpth/ for /warmth/ ("warmth"). I do that
thoughtlessly.

Seems as if epenthesis aids in vocalizing.

I can't say what the occurrence of epenthesis is in Nahuatl, but it
we might look for Nahuatl vowel epenthesis (called--grimace--"anaptyxis")
in Spanish loan words with consonant clusters Nahuatl resists.

Michael