mohottah

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Thu May 13 23:35:36 UTC 2010

Nocnihuan,

   I thought that I should probably clarify my use of the word
"teachers" in my learning Nahuatl.  I have to confess that I have never
had a formal class in the language.  By "teachers" in this context, I
refer to the various native speakers who have helped me make progress.
   In 1962, I went to Tepoztlan, Morelos, as a member of a group of
graduate students under the guidance of Ken Hale, then a young
professor at the University of Illinois.  He placed a group of four in
the small nearby village of San Andres and helped Paul Puritt and me to
find living space in Tepoztlan.  Ken introduced me to a Nahuatl
speaker, who was a veteran of the Revolution, in fact, who had fought
with Zapata.  I sat down with him and started asking for single word
translations and repeating them as I made notes... That didn't work,
since he had little patience for someone who mangled his words, failing
miserably on the syllable-final [h], a frequent modern result of the
historical glottal stop.

   Don Juanito and I remained good friends, made trips together, had
long chats with beer on my porch, but Paul and I found someone else to
help us through the hour-by-hour work all summer -- a sixteen year old
girl (and sometimes her father) from nearby Santa Catarina.

   When Indiana University wanted someone to teach Nahuatl in 1970, I
accepted the assignment with the understanding that they would pay a
native speaker to co-teach the class in a field methods format.  The
young woman who spent an academic year in Bloomington was extremely
communicative (and very instrumental in my learning more Nahuatl) as we
spent many hours each week planning out "safe" areas of the language to
present in class.  It was she who clarified for me the function of
reduplication in Nahuatl verbs through her hopping.

   Through the 1980s, I spent time in Cuernavaca and Taxco, looking for
people who spoke the Guerrero Balsas Valley Nahuatl.  One person who
spent a lot of time with me was an elderly vendor from Ameyaltepec.
And in Taxco, a family from San Agustin Oapan seemed to adopt me, with
the young son abandoning his family work of painting amates and tending
their vending stall to spend mountains of time with me and my tape
recorder, acting as my "point man" in trips to outlying towns, and even
getting me to wade barefoot in the Balsas River, helping him with the
fishing nets.

   In 1989 and 1992 I worked with a native speaker from Canoa, Puebla,
the late Alberto Zepeda, in co-teaching a course on his dialect during
Fran's NEH Institutes.  On Friday before the classes were to start on
Monday, I told him that I didn't know anything about Canoa Nahuatl, but
that by Monday we had to be ready to teach a class together as if I
did.  And we repeated our co-teaching act at the University of Chicago
summer school in 1996.  I can't imagine a more intense language
learning experience than those three summers.

   In the Spring semester of 1998, a speaker of the Tlaxcallan dialect
came to Bloomington and stayed well into the Summer.  We visited each
other's classes
and became good friends, resulting in our sweating through the heat of
a sun-heated limestone building with no air-conditioning for weeks and
weeks to translate Gonzalez Casanova's _Cuentos Indigenas_ into
Tlaxcallan Nahuatl.

   These people have been my most important teachers of Nahuatl.  Not
all of them had a teaching certificate, but that didn't diminish the
effect of their teaching on me.

   David's example of vowel-learning in the midst of sharing food
reminds me that many of you have undoubtedly had similar experiences.

   I would be amiss if I didn't mention two members of the Franciscan Order:
Fray Alonso de Molina and Fray Bernardino de Sahagun.  They have both
been generous beyond the Call in the innumerable hours that they have
spent with me.

Joe