mohottah

Tomas Amaya t_amaya at megared.net.mx
Fri May 14 12:45:09 UTC 2010

Tocnihuan!

I just want to make some contributions to the topic “mohotah”, with examples
taken from the nahuat of Cuetzalan.

1.       I have never heard mohota. I have heard:

a.       moi-itah (meaning: they see each other)

b.      moihitah (meaning: they stare at each other (inquisitively))

2.       Moomotah (they see each other frequently ) e.g. moomotah
eheyitonaltica (they see each other every three days)

3.       Other examples of reduplication:

a.       quiquequelohua: he tickles him

b.      quiquéhquelohua: he irritates, bothers (laugh at) him (e.g. yn
Tezcatlipoca techquehquelohua)

c.       quiteetetenehua: he mentions one person and then another (e.g.
describing what each person is doing)

d.      teetéhtenehua: he talks a lot (badly) about the people (e.g. the
neighbors)

4.       From the first time I read this “mohotah”, I related it with
“moihitah”.

Niamechyoltaatapalohua paaquiliztica, amo páapaquiliztica. Receive my
heartfelt “hello” not my flattering “hi”.

Tomas Amaya