maquilia

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Wed Nov 10 15:23:41 UTC 2010

John,

I'm sure you already considered this, but it looks to me like it is the
applicative/benefactive form of "maca" (to give). I assume that you are
asking because the well-established meaning of "maca" as "to give"
doesn't seem to be consistent with the meaning "to hit," which I assume
is based on the contemporary usage of the native speakers you are
working with. If that is the case, my guess would be that this meaning
"to hit" is a transference from the Spanish "dar," which, of course, can
have that meaning.

Galen