maquilia

Paul Allen Hudson paul.hudson at udlap.mx
Thu Nov 11 01:43:32 UTC 2010

Tayouaj listeros,

Harold Key gives "temaga" for the verb pegar in the Náhuatl of the Zacapoaxtla region. Given that it's the only occurrence of "g" I have found in his dictionary, I believe it's safe to assume the word is "temaka," that is, to give (maka) to someone (te), with the direct object apparently established by common usage and, as has already been pointed out, probably similar to the Spanish "dar un golpe/bofetada/paliza/patada" or the English "give it to him," all colloquial expressions for physically beating someone.

Also, in the Náhuatl of Zacapoaxtla/Cuetzalan, I have similarly found that the suffix -ilia seems to be added to those verbs that take both direct and indirect objects with the result that the stress falls on the indirect object. For instance, the verb "koua" (buy or to buy) is converted to "kouilia" (buy for someone). I would expect that in some cases this would result in the latter form of the verb gaining a specific meaning, with the direct object being established by common usage as appears to be the case with "maquilia." Hope this helps.

Maj nanpaktokej

Paul Hudson