Translation Assistance for Nahua-inspired Lullaby

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Mon Oct 11 22:34:23 UTC 2010

Quoting Cindy Williams Gutierrez <cindy at grito-poetry.com>:

> Dear Nahuatl Enthusiasts:
>

> Can someone kindly help with a translation of the following lines (or
> point me to a resource for translation):
>

> *	"Sleep, small one"
> *	"Let me be the cottonwood, the juniper"

I'm a sucker, perhaps a buffalo fish, so I'll take the bait.

"Xicochi, conetzin,
Xinechchihuacan in pochotl, in X..."

X means I don't have "juniper" in my Nahuatl vocabulary, or so I think.
I have it in Navajo, French, and Miami-Illinois, but not in Nahuatl.

Could I interest you in fir, pine, or cypress?

oyametl 'fir', ocotl 'pine', ahuehuetl 'cypress'

:-)

Hopefully, someone else can supply the juniper.

Michael