Looking for my first Nahuatl recordings

Alec Battles alec.battles at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 23:16:18 UTC 2010

Thank everyone for their wonderful recommendations. Jesse, I would not
want to hear recordings of a dead language by its (un?)dead native
speakers. Imagine hearing Plato speak. *bleaugh* Nevertheless, I have
found my year and a half among Modern Greek speakers helped me to
parse text in Greek. What are languages if they are not spoken.

Karttunen seems just as methodical as Carochi himself. And
unfortunately both cost $80. I'll toss a coin up in the air and
probably end up buying the opposite book anyway.

As far as recordings go, I think most teachers would find me quite
hard to please. I have always learned languages without listening to
exercises being read aloud. I prefer texts being read aloud, stories
being told, conversations being had. Someone reading their 150-odd
characters of twitter out would be different.

Thanks again for all of the info, everyone. I'm going to stick to the
1882 Carochi until I've got enough money to buy either the K&C or the
updated Carochi.

Best,
Alec