Looking for my first Nahuatl recordings

Alec Battles alec.battles at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 12:02:31 UTC 2010

Actually, I wasn't so keen on Nahuatl as Written because he doesn't
seem to include
include vowel lengths. (This is my impression based on the Amazon preview.)

Years ago I went through all the trouble of learning to read and
pronounce Literary Arabic in order to get a
better grasp on how vowel lengths probably sounded back in the day
when most languages had them.

People who haven't learned how to pronounce long vowels which don't
take the main accent in a word
probably wouldn't care, and I understand that the length of a vowel in
Classical Nahuatl is more of a scholarly reconstruction in some cases.

But as far as I'm concerned, it would be a royal pain not to learn
first things first. And so if I'm going to get just one first book, it would
have to be one of the ones that marks vowel length: Carochi,
Kartunnen, or Andrews...

Alec