Piltlahcuiloltzin ixitlauhca

Alec Battles alec.battles at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 10:56:20 UTC 2010

> > .... Long vowels are shown here with a colon, as the macron has
> demonstrated
> > in the past its ability to send nahuat-l into the land of giberish. ...
>
> Probably because the macroned letters are not in the initial (zero'th) set
> of 256 Unicode letters and thus cause the message to be sent as one of the
> Unicode variants and not as plain ascii, e.g. a-macron is Unicode 0101,
> o-macron is  014D (hexadecimal), but plain a is 0061. Separate macron as a
> combining character is Unicode 035E.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

www.stackoverflow.com would be a good place for the FAMSI webmasters to ask
questions about Unicode, if they are reading this. I'm assuming the mail
server they use is at least 10 years old, if not as old as the internet
itself. There's bound to be a free/open-source implementation of what they
use which works better, is more secure, and is actually easier to maintain.

For most of the internet, Unicode is no longer an issue. There are no 'third
world websites,' no thanks to Microsoft.

Overbars, check marks, music notes, Egyptian heiroglyphics, and even
Akkadian cuneiform if you so desire, all have their separate Wikipedia
pages. Chinese-language URLs already exist, and Chinese domain names will
exist soon enough. Mayan glyphs will probably not exist for several years
yet, but none of these updates require the painful installation of new
software on a Linux PC/server.