Piltlahcuiloltzin ixitlauhca

Galen Brokaw brokaw at buffalo.edu
Wed Sep 29 20:24:07 UTC 2010

  Hi John,

Not to belabor Michael's point, but I still don't understand. The issue
for me isn't so much why one would need to discuss how to pronounce
sounds for native speakers, but rather the practicality and utility of
doing this effectively in any dictionary.
Most people, regardless of whether they are learning to read and write
in their native language or a foreign one, don't learn about the
correspondence between letters and sounds from a dictionary. None of my
English dictionaries define letters in phonetic terms. I should say that
most of my Spanish dictionaries don't do this either, the DRAE does
actually include an attempt to give a phonetic description of the sound
represented the the letters.
It does seem that Spanish lends itself more to doing this than English.
But in general, it doesn't seem to be a very practical or even a very
accurate way to learn about the relationship between letters and sounds.
Most people probably won't even be familiar with the terms used to refer
to the articulatory organs (although I guess they could refer to the
entries for unknown anatomical terms in the dictionary, hopefully with a
visual illustration). But that isn't even the main issue.
If what you are proposing is an orthography as opposed to a phonetic
representation, then I don't understand why you would need to define
letters in the dictionary in phonetic terms. In fact, it seems to me
that a universal definition would be impossible in many (perhaps most?)
cases, and a comprehensive definition would be overly long and
complicated for a dictionary entry. It seems to me that the fact that
you are proposing an orthography rather than a phonetic representation
doesn't really have any bearing on the fact that there is no one-to-one
correspondence between letters and sounds. There is no one-to-one
correspondence between letters and sounds primarily because alphabetic
systems are largely phonemic rather than phonetic (although there are
other reasons as well such as historical processes that create
alphabetic redundancies). So in order to really define the sounds that
are represented by any given letter, in addition to the "base" or
"standard" allophone associated with a particular letter, wouldn't you
also have to include an explanation of all of the other allophones and
the linguistic environment in which they occur? It seems to me that this
kind of explanation would be more appropriate for an encyclopedia than a
dictionary.
But even if a dictionary did include a thorough phonetic definition of a
letter, it doesn't necessarily codify the correspondence between a sound
(or groups of sounds) and a letter (although I guess that depends on
what you mean by codify).
In the dictionaries that I have (with the exception of the DRAE), the
letters of the alphabet are defined merely as "the nth letter of the
alphabet" or "any of the speech sounds represented by" that letter. I
think the reason they define the letters in this way is because, in
addition to the phoneme/allophone complication, in many cases, these
letters represent different sounds in different dialects. If I
understand your project correctly, you want this dictionary to be a
standard reference that would function like a dictionary of any other
language. So unless this is going to be a dictionary of a particular
dialect (which one might argue is inevitable with Nahuatl unless you
incorporate all the various vocabulary and differing definitions for
words in use by all of the Nahuatl speaking communities), isn't it
problematic to define the letters in phonetic terms? Maybe the level of
generality with which you establish the correspondence between the
letters and the sounds makes the definitions universal (i.e., so that
they apply to all dialects)? Is that possible? Maybe it is possible for
some letters/sounds, but I suspect that probably not for others. In
cases where it isn't, wouldn't you have to include an explanation for
the various dialects as well? Maybe you are already doing that. After
all, you've only sent out three letters so far. So you can just tell me
to shut up and wait for the more problematic letters that will be
appearing soon.

Galen

But who is going to learn the correspondence from a dictionary?