piltlahcuiloltzin tlen CH

Jesse Lovegren lovegren at buffalo.edu
Thu Sep 30 16:39:15 UTC 2010

To indulge in even more detail, I note that affricates do have a rapid
release (at the front of the closure), and ALSO a delayed release (further
back in the closure).  Quoth Stevens (Acoustic Phonetics, 1998:412):

*An affricate is produced by shaping and positioning the articulatory
structure in such a way that the rapid release is produced at the anterior
end of the constriction formed by the articulator.  Following this release,
the constriction formed immediately posterior to the point of release is
maintained for a few tens of milliseconds and is then released.  This
constriction is much like the constriction for a fricative consonant.  The
sequence* *of events characterising an affricate is therefore an initial
transient ocurring at the release at the anterior end of the constriction
followed by a few tens of milliseconds of frication noise prior to voicing
onset for the vowel.*

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Campbell, R. Joe <campbel at indiana.edu>wrote:

> John,
>
>   One detail that is missing has to do with the release of the air --
> when sounds like [p t k] are released, we can say that the air is
> "suddenly" released, but in the case of affricates (pardon my
> non-phonetic characters) like [ch j tl], the space of time between the
> complete stoppage and the onset of the following vowel is occupied by
> friction, caused by the fact that the articulators remained briefly in
> a certain crucial proximity to each other.
> Or, in other words, the contact is released slowly, resulting in
> friction during the release period.
>
> Joe
>

> Quoting John Sullivan <idiez at me.com>:
>
> > CH. piltlahcuiloltzin. Quimanextia tentlatzacuilcayotl tlen caquizti
> > quemman motzacua tocopac, tonenepilpatlauhca quitzacua ihyotl campa
> > quinamiqui iican tocamatapalpamiuh, tonenepil eli quentzin comoltic,
> > itehtenno quinamiqui tocamatapalpamiuh huan quiztihuetzi ihyotl
> > itlahcotiyan tocamac.
> >
> > CH. letter. Represents the consonant that is heard when the velum
> > closes, the middle of the tongue touches the back of the alveolar
> > ridge and stops the airflow, the tongue becomes slightly concave, its
> > sides touch the alveolar ridge, and the air is suddenly released
> > through the middle of the mouth.

Jesse Lovegren
Department of Linguistics
645 Baldy Hall