Piltlahcuiloltzin ixitlauhca

John Sullivan idiez at me.com
Tue Sep 28 03:31:03 UTC 2010

Piyali listeros,
	One of the difficult things we've been doing lately is to define the letters of the alphabet for our monolingual dictionary. Joe Campbell participated in this project during the summer. I'm going to present it at the Maryland conference next month. I would like to start releasing the definitions one per day on this listserv and see what people have to say. So here's the long and short "a". Long vowels are shown here with a colon, as the macron has demonstrated in the past its ability to send nahuat-l into the land of giberish.
John
A: piltlahcuiloltzin. Quimanextia tentzilincayotl huehueyac tlen caquizti quemman motzacua tocopac huan tonenepil yohui tocamatzalan.

A: letter. Represents the long vowel that is heard when the velum closes and the tongue moves to the bottom of the mouth.

A. piltlahcuiloltzin. Quimanextia tentzilincayotl cototztzin tlen caquizti quemman motzacua tocopac huan tonenepil yohui tocamatzalan.

A. letter. Represents the short vowel that is heard when the velum closes and the tongue moves to the bottom of the mouth.