Piltlahcuiloltzin ixitlauhca

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 28 22:51:19 UTC 2010

Quoting John Sullivan <idiez at me.com>:

Thanks for your note, John.

> Michael,
> Good question. First, the vast majority of native speakers of Nahuatl
> are illiterate in their native language.

But they are literate in Spanish, right?

And since there is no
> dictionary, even the one's who are "literate" can do no more than
> approximate a correspondence between sound and letters every time
> they write (I'll anticipate objections here by saying that even
> though many spelling systems are in use by linguists and
> institutions, none of them have actually been codified in a
> dictionary).

Second, since we are proposing an orthography (Andrews,
> Campbell, Karttunen) as opposed to a phonetic representation (and our
> system seeks to represent morphemes, more than anything else), there
> is no one-to-one correspondence between sounds and letters.

That's a good point.

Third,
> the majority of our consonants correspond to more than one sound in
> the spoken language, so people who will be learning the spelling
> system for the first time will probably want to know how that
> correspondence works.

All good points. I guess what you send sounded more like a course in
phonology than what I expect a dictionary to tell me. But, of course,
there is no limit to what a dictionary can tell us.

Michael