Nahua's, Comanche's, and the 'mecos' dance

kwachichil at yahoo.com kwachichil at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 03:36:25 UTC 2011

 Greetings,
   Many years ago while perusing through a book on contemporary Nahua culture, I
wrote down a side note in some of my undergrad notes describing a "mecos" dance.
I'm trying to gather some more information, as I can't seem to find any info
online and for some reason did not write down the name of the book.

 What I remember is that in the Nahua village described in the book, the 'mecos'
dance recreated a visit of "Chichimecos". The dancers wore long ribboned
headdresses, and may even have danced with bows. There was a photo that showed
these dancers and their headdresses made of long colored ribbons and how they
were similar to the long plains-style headdresses worn by the Comanche at that
time.

 I do not recall if the book was definite that the Chichimecs in question were
indeed Comanches, or if it was hypothesized they were Comanche due to the style
of headdress used in the dance. I've heard that the horsebacked Comanche
traveled as far south as Jalisco, Queretaro, and even Guatemala where they saw
"men with tails".

 Does anyone have any further information on this topic as it relates to the
Nahua? I haven't had much luck, or am using the wrong search terms, when
searching the web.

 Also, Is the 'mecos, or Chichimecos term still used in modern Nahua language?

Thanks.