a puzzling particle chain: "ye quine"

Wm Annis wm.annis at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 01:54:51 UTC 2011

Even though I'm not too many chapters into Launey & Mackay,
I've decided to tackle a few smaller texts.  I've always been fond
of Aesop for beginning reading, and luckily there are Nahuatl
translations available.  I'm getting my texts from two places,

  * http://books.google.com/books?id=RtdVAAAAMAAJ (P.)
  * http://www.amoxcalli.org.mx/paleografia.php?id=287 (ms.)

I'm working mostly with the ms. version, using P. for occasional
clarity.  Needless to say, both are providing quite the education
in Nahuatl spelling habits.  My notes for the first fable I'm trying
are here:

  * http://lingweenie.org/nahuatl/esopo-2.pdf

I am very puzzled by a particle chain (?) in line four, "Auh inic
yexpan oquinamic ye quine mochicauh huel itlan onmiquani,
ihuan oquinotz."  Right now I suspect "ye quine" (spelled
"yequine" in P.) of being "ye quin-(y)eh."  Is that a reasonable
interpretation?  And if so, what on earth does it mean?

--
William S. Annis
www.aoidoi.org • www.scholiastae.org