Errors in the D&A edition of the Florentine Codex

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Sat Aug 13 22:02:35 UTC 2011

Nocnihuan,

   I was recently looking through a list of Nahuatl words from the Florentine
Codex with the goal of supplying an English gloss for the ones that lacked one
in my list.  My first tool is the Dibble and Anderson edition, but, where
necessary, I check my dubits with the facsimile of the FC.  I had undoubtedly
run into the word "acac" (written here over the corrected version) again and
again, but had always assumed that I would someday take of the pesky
unrecognized form.
   Last night I finally retreated to the facsimile and, after some searching,
found that my "acac" was really "ayac" (i.e., no one)!

   I thought that some notes on errors in the Dibble and Anderson edition of
the FC might be of interest to the group.  I give the book and page numbers,
and the "f." number is only to help me locate the data item later.  My
informal comments are at the end of block, enclosed in brackets.

   Naturally, I would be glad to clarify anything that my comments (originally
meant to be "talking to myself") leave unclear.

   I should include a comment that many people will consider unnecessary --
finding errors in a work involving the complexity of dealing with the
paleography of the FC and the editing of the facing English and Nahuatl
columns is not surprising.  The surprise is that THERE ARE SO FEW!!  My
respect and admiration for Dibble and Anderson has grown with my
continuing use of their work.

Joe

                                       acac
     b. 2 f. 10 p. 162  ayac teahuaya, ayac mahuaya:   no one disputed
                    with others, no one wrangled. ; word: no one,
                    nobody   ../.. ayac   [*****??D&A transcribe this
                    as "acac", but the facsimile is clearly "aiac" ]

********************

     b. 2 f. 1 p. 52  auh in tlamani, in oconcahuato imal temalacac:
                    niman ye ic huitz, oncan hualmoquetza in icaya,
                    mihtotiticac, ixquichcapa ontlachixticac, in imal
                    conitzticac:   and the captor, when he had gone
                    to leave his captive on the round stone of gladiatorial
                    sacrifice, thereupon went away; he stopped where
                    he had been standing before; he stood dancing;
                    from where he was he stood watching; he stood
                    looking at his captive. ; word: he stands looking
                    at him   ../.. itztihcac, con-  [*****?? shouldn't
                    conitzicac be conitzticac?? Yes, this is a typo
                    in D&A; I checked the facsimile and it has 't' ]

     b. 2 f. 2 p. 57  ic tlacemilhuitiltitoque, ic tlalhuiquixtitoque,
                    ic tlalhuinextitoque, tlalhuizoltitoque, ihuizolotoque,
                    thus they sat passing all day, thus they sat celebrating
                    the day, thus they sat displaying the day; they
                    sat making the day wear away; they sat wearing
                    the day away. ; word: waiting for gloss ../..
                    ilhuizolohtoqueh   [*****??printing error: D&A
                    have "ihuj‡ulotoque", but the facsimile has
"tilhuj‡ulotoque" ]

     b. 2 f. 7 p. 128  auh in ohecoc, oncan conitta, yexitontli, in
                    oncan icac, iotexpan: anozo itenco,   and when
                    [the god] arrived, [the priest] saw there a little
                    foot[print], which was there on the cornmeal or
                    at its edge. ; word: little foot, little footprint
                    ../.. icxitontli   [*****??"iexitontli" appears
                    in the D&A transcription, but the facsimile has
                    "icxitontli". ]

     b. 4 f. 3 p. 23  teicpac nemi, ic atlamattinemi, ic cuecuenoti,
                    inix, iniyollo, in icuicanyo, in inemach, inic
                    tlatlatiani, inic tlayolhuiani, inic cuicapiquini,
                    inic cuicatoltecatl   so he acted superior in
                    mind and heart, in his songs, and in his wisdom,
                    as a poet, a designer, a composer, a master of
                    song. ; word: poet, one who composes something
                    ../.. tlaliani, tla-  [*****??The D&A edition
                    has "tlatlatianj", but the facsimile of the Florentine
                    Codex has "tlatlalianj" ]

     b. 4 f. 9 p. 96  auh inic amo za nen tontlatlatozque: titlatolzacamozque,
                    and so we shall not repeat uselessly nor reopen
                    the discussion. ; word: we shall speak repeatedly
                    ../.. tlatlahtozqueh, ton-  [*****??printing error:
                    D&A have "totlatlatozque", but the facsimile has
                    "tontlatlatozque" ]

     b. 5 f. 1 p. 151  ic ce capitulo, oncan mitoa, in tetzahuitl
                    in quitetzammatia: in ihcuac yoaltica, aca quicaquia:
                    in chocaica itla tecuani, in anoce, iuhqui aca
                    ilama chocaya:   first chapter. here are related
                    the omens in which they believed when, at night,
                    someone heard some wild animal cry out, or when
                    it seemed as if some old woman wept; ; word: it
                    was crying   ../.. chocaya   [*****??11|printing
                    error: D&A edition has "chocaica"; the facsimile
                    has "chocaia" ]

     b. 6 f. 2 p. 15  ma motecuayoti, ma motleyoti in teoatl, in tlachinolli:
                    may it gain ferocity, glory in war. ; word: waiting
                    for gloss ../.. tecuayoti, mo-  [*****??this is
                    a misprint for motecuayoti; the final character
                    which D&A interpret as 'l' shows up in the facsimile
                    as something ambiguous between 'l' and 'i'; it
                    is shorter than any 'l' in the surrounding text
                    and there also appears to be a break between the
                    body of the 'i' and the dot ]

     b. 6 f. 11 p. 129  auh in quemmanian in iuhqui meaozque, in iuhqui
                    cochizque: a tonehuaz, a chichinacaz in iyollotzin:
                    quen oquimotlachieltili in ichpochtontli,   and
                    if at times they will be poor, [if] her heart
                    will suffer pain and affliction, how will he regard
                    the maiden? ; word: they will rise   ../.. ehuazqueh,
                    m[o]-  [*****??printing error: the facsimile has
                    "meoazque", but the D&A edition has "meaozque" ]

     b. 10 f. 2 p. 23  in cualli cuachi micalini milacatzoani, momiccatlazani
                    tlacemoliniani, teochpahuazhuiani   the good shorn
                    one [is] a skirmisher, an aggressor, who hurls
                    himself to his death; a vanquisher, a sweeper
                    away [of the foe]. ; word: shorn, having a shorn
                    head   ../.. cuachic   [*****??The D&A edition
                    has "cuachi", but the facsimile has unambiguous
                    "cuachic" ]

     b. 10 f. 11 p. 178  mohuia: ye on totomitl,   it was said: "now
                    thou art an otomi." ; word: it is said   ../..
                    [il]lhuia, mo-  [*****??printing error: mohuja
                    for molhuja; D&A have mohuija, but the facsimile
                    has molhuja ]

     b. 11 f. 26 p. 271  quitoznequi, amo xacalli, tlacuauhtentli,
                    huapaltzacqui, cuauhpixollo, tlapanyo, tlachiuhqui,
                    pantlallo, atenayo, apipilhuazyo,   it means not
                    a hut, [but] a wooden house, the beams covered
                    with planks; a house covered with wood, having
                    a flat roof; flat, with earth above, with a parapet,
                    with a conduit. ; word: something covered with
                    wood   ../.. cuauhtentli, tla-  [*****??printing
                    error in D&A: tlaquauhtentlli for tlaquauhtentli;
                    facsimile has tlaquauhtentli ]

     b. 11 f. 27 p. 279  in iztac cintli, amilpanecayotl, ximmilpanecayotl,
                    chinampanecayotl, chalcahuitl, huexotzincayotl,
                    tlatepotzcayotl, tlalhuicayotl, tonayancayotl,
                    matlatzincayotl, mazahuacayotl, michoacayotl,
                    totonacayotl, anahuacayotl, atic, tepitztic, coyoltic,
                    tlacuactic, xocoyollotic, naltic, tecciztic, iztacpatic,
                    chopilotic,   the white maize ear -- that of the
                    irrigated lands, that of the fields, that of the
                    chinampas, that of chalco, that of uexotzinco,
                    that of the tlateputzca, that of the tlalhuica,
                    that from the east, that of the matlatzinca, of
                    the ma‡aua, of michoacan, of the totonaca, of
                    anauac -- is small; it is hard, like a copper
                    bell -- hard, like fruit pits; it is clear; it
                    is like a seashell, very white; it is like a crystal.
                    ; word: something pertaining to Chalco   ../..
                    chalcayotl   [*****??is this an error for chalcaiutl?
                    The answer seems to be yes; in the facsimile,
                    where D&A interpret "ui", there are three minims
                    and the dot, although ambiguous, seems to be over
                    the first one. Further, this word is in the middle
                    of a series of words ending in "-cayotl". ]