Comments on the Florentine

Campbell, R. Joe campbel at indiana.edu
Fri Aug 26 14:23:48 UTC 2011

Nocnihuan,

   When I got back from my first contact with Nahuatl in Tepoztlan in
the summer of 1962 with Ken Hale, I first saw volumes of Dibble and
Anderson's edition of the Florentine Codex in the University of
Illinois library.
"WOW!!" is a very weak word to express my reaction, so you can picture
it as "WOW-cubed!!!"  It has only grown since then.

   I'm sending you some of my notes on the Florentine, with the hope of
a two-way communication:
  1) your comments which might modify my opinions;
  2) modifying your reading of some phrases in the text.

   The format below gives the book and page number in the D&A edition
(the file number is for my use in locating the passage.  The "word"
line identifies the commented portion of the phrase.  "my word gloss"
gives my modified translation of the selected word in the Nahuatl
phrase.  The comment line is my note (usually to myself and therefore
informal) expressing an opposing opinion about the translation.
   I would very much appreciate comments to the contrary.

Joe

     1.
     book 1 file 1 page 27
        Nah: intla otetlaxin: inic amo cuatetlaxililoz, inic
          amo cuatepitziniloz,
          inic amo cuatetzotzonaloz, moyolmelahua.
        Eng: if they had committed adultery, so that their heads might
          not be pierced, nor crushed, nor beaten with stones, [therefore]
          they confessed.
        word: cuatetlaxililoz
        my word gloss: he will have rocks thrown at his head
        comment: *****??11|D&A translate this as pierced; it seems
          to involve rock throwing

     2.
     book 1 file 2 page 42
        Nah: oncan ic oquichtia.
        Eng: thus he made him a man of consequence.
        word: oquichtia
        my word gloss: he became a warrior
        comment: *****??11|D&A translate this as "he made him a man",
          but since there is no transitive construction, it looks
          more like "in this way he became a man, a warrior"

     3.
     book 1 file 3 page 49
        Nah: ihuan in aca matzicolihuiya, ima quicuecuetza, icxi quicuecuetza,
          macopichahui, icxicopichahui, icxicuecuechca, ihixatotoco,
          tempapatlaca, tenhuihuiyoca, itech quinehua: mitoa, oquitlahuelique
          in xoxouhque tepicme.
        Eng: and if one were lame in one hand, [if] his arm quivered,
          his leg quivered, a hand became misshapen, a foot became
          misshapen, his foot shook, his eyes trembled, his lips quivered,
          his lips trembled, if he were possessed, it was said, the
          green mountain gods had become angered by him.
        word: ihixatotoco
        my word gloss: there is running of water from his eyes
        comment: *****??11|D&A translate this as "his eyes trembled",
          but it seems more likely that it means "there is running
          of water from his eyes"

     4.
     book 2 file 2 page 58
        Nah: auh in ehuatl, ocototzauh, ocacalachuac, ocuahuac:
        Eng: and the skins were in pieces; they crackled; they were
          hard.
        word: cototzauh, o-
        my word gloss: it wrinkled, it twisted
        comment: *****??11|D&A translate this as "were in pieces",
          but it is more likely that that it is "it wrinkled, it twisted",
          consistent with the semantics of 'cototzahui'.

     5.
     book 2 file 4 page 82
        Nah: iitztitoque,
        Eng: they lay sleepless.
        word: iitztitoqueh
        my word gloss: they lie sleepless
        comment: *****??11|D&A translate this as concerning sleeplessness,
          but it is more likely that it concerns "itztia" (being cold)

     6.
     book 2 file 4 page 88
        Nah: auh in icuac quimeltetequi, in ce ompeti iiechiquiuh,
          conanilia in iyollo, contlalitihui comic, tlatexohuilli
          motocayotia, mixcomitl, nauhcampa in tlaolxahualli:
        Eng: and when they slashed open the breasts of [the victims],
          when they opened the breast of one of them, they seized
          his heart; they went to place it in a vessel painted blue,
          named the cloud vessel, which was painted with rubber on
          four sides.
        word: tlalihtihui, con-
        my word gloss: they go placing it
        comment: *****??11|is this really a directional or a compound
          verb? D&A translate this as a purposive verb, but it is
          a compound verb

     7.
     book 2 file 7 page 119
        Nah: niman ic conicza in itianquiz, za iyopa, za ye connahuatia
          in tianquiztli.
        Eng: then she tramped over her market place for the last time
          before she took leave of the market place.
        word: iyohpa
        my word gloss: only time
        comment: *****??11|D&A translate this as "last time"; it is
          more likely "only time"

     8.
     book 2 file 7 page 125
        Nah: in ocaxitico tlatzintlan, mec quimana in oncan coaxalpan.
        Eng: when he had come reaching the bottom, then he placed
          it there on the landing.
        word: ahxitico, oc-
        my word gloss: he came to bring it
        comment: *****??11| not reaching the bottom -- came to bring
          it (the chalk)

     9.
     book 2 file 7 page 125
        Nah: auh in ixquich tlacatl, zan iuh ontlantihui in quitlalcahuia,
          zan quezquinti in huel quimonaxitia, in huel ompa quimoncahua
          tocititlan:
        Eng: and everyone [else] went stopping when they left her;
          there were only few who indeed brought her, who indeed left
          her there at tocititlan.
        word: ahxitia, quimon-
        my word gloss: they bring them
        comment: *****??11|D&A translate this as "they bring her",
          but it means "they bring them"

     10.
     book 2 file 7 page 125
        Nah: auh in ixquich tlacatl, zan iuh ontlantihui in quitlalcahuia,
          zan quezquinti in huel quimonaxitia, in huel ompa quimoncahua
          tocititlan:
        Eng: and everyone [else] went stopping when they left her;
          there were only few who indeed brought her, who indeed left
          her there at tocititlan.
        word: cahua, quimon-
        my word gloss: they leave them
        comment: *****??11|D&A translate this as "they leave her",