Tezcatlipoca

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at indiana.edu
Sun Dec 4 15:43:49 UTC 2011

Quoting Baert Georges <lahunik.62 at skynet.be>:

> Tezcatlipoca.
>
> Excuse me but my question is perhaps rather stupid.
>
> What is now the real meaning of Tezcatlipoca.
>
> The french expression, "il fume comme un mirroir de pierre", is perhaps
> better translated as, "he smokes like a mirror stone".

Well, literally, 'il fume comme un mirroir (sic) de pierre' means

'he smokes like a mirror of stone,' i.e., a mirror made of stone,
comprised of stone, a stone mirror in English.

> But the question is did there really exist a sort of mirror stone in
> Mesoamerica which could burn and smoke.
>
> Or is this a purely methaphorical expression, and if so what is than the
> exact meaning.

It certainly appears to be a "metaphor". What the "exact" meaning is is
a good question, philosophical in nature, metaphysical in nature, I
imagine.

Michael