Recent Meeting at IDIEZ

Stephanie Wood swood at uoregon.edu
Thu Dec 15 21:47:07 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I just wanted to report about our wonderful time in Zacatecas last week, with Nahuatl-speakers from 8 states of Mexico in attendance at the Instituto de Docencia e Investigación en Etnología, all able to speak and understand each other's variant.  It was remarkable.

We discussed Classical vocabulary, themes of interest in current times, a proposal from INALI for a dialectology study, and more, all in Nahuatl.  We captured audio and video that we hope to make available in the future in a number of ways.  Some phrases will be inserted into the free online Nahuatl dictionary (whp.uoregon.edu/dictionaries/nahuatl).

We are also getting a Nahuatl-language listserv established, creating a Nahuatl-language website, and hope to begin assembling a modern Nahuatl, multi-variant corpus of texts (prose, poetry, song lyrics, etc.) to disseminate widely for the purpose of advancing modern Nahuatl written literacy, language preservation and use, and research.  Your contributions would be welcomed.

John Sullivan and I greatly appreciated the time and energy expended by all the participants!  We came away from the meeting very enthused!

Best wishes,
Stephanie

Stephanie Wood, Ph.D.,
Director