cacomistle

Magnus Pharao Hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 18:34:01 UTC 2011

Dear Tom

No, tepemaxtla does not mean "mountain splitter", nor is the etymology you
propose possible. Tepe:- does indeed mean mountain, but maxtla does not come
from maxalihui or maxac - it comes from maxtlatl - meaning fox (or by
extension other small furry carnivorous mammals). Tepemaxtla simply means
mountain-fox.  The reason it is not possible to derive maxtla from maxalihui
or maxac is that that would leave the -tla element unexplained, and because
there is no known derivational process that could derive maxtla from
maxalihui or maxactli.

best regards

Magnus