maxtlatl etymology

Magnus Pharao Hansen magnuspharao at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 20:10:01 UTC 2011

Listeros:

I think I can get a decent derivation of  a root maxa to maxtlatl, but it
requires a weird, although not impossible derivation, and it doesn't explain
how it would have come to mean fox.

*maxa  "to split, bifucate"  (hypothetical protonahuatl root)

*maxa-ta "something bifurcated" (ta is the original form of the the
absolutive suffix)
> apocope *(described by Dakin and Canger) *max-ta
> (whorf's law)  ma:xtla
> then for some reason the word is reinterpreted as a root and a new
absolutive suffix is attached so we get *maxtlatla
> then the last vowel is dropped  and we get maxtla-tl "something split" I
think this ought to be the etymology for loincloth at that at least has a
common meaning with bifurcate as it covers our own anatomical bifurcation.

maxactli "cave/female genital opening" would come from maxakata through the
same process. the ka of course being the perfective -ka-.

This model requires some kind of explanation of why "something split" comes
to mean "loincloth" and "fox". It also doesn't cause tepemaxtla to mean
mountain splitter, since the tepe could only have been prefxed after the
word maxtlatl had come to mean fox rather than "something split".

Also I am unsure about vowel length on the first ma syllable - I know
loincloth has length, but I am currently unsure of the others, do maxalihui
and maxactli have vowel length in classical? (I am away from my
dictionaries)

best

Magnus